You go out to your terrace to enjoy a cup of coffee and you are surprised by bird droppings that seem to have accumulated overnight. Anyone who owns an open outdoor space has found themselves in this situation at least a few times. But what to do? It turns out that the easiest way to clean the patio and get rid of bad odors is to tackle this problem quickly. We present the most effective tricks to try, depending on the material.
Effective methods of cleaning the terrace of bird droppings, depending on the building material
Ideally, you can keep birds out of the garden and prevent them from defecating on your patio. However, this is not always possible. If you need to clean the stools, you should deal with them as soon as possible, before they settle and become more difficult to remove.
It’s important to take some precautions when cleaning up bird droppings from your deck. Be sure to wear gloves and a mask. It is also recommended to cover your arms and legs with clothing (which must be washed immediately). Keep children and pets in or out of the area while cleaning, as feces can carry disease.
This method allows you to remove odors and stains from wood.
1. Use a scraper to remove dried debris.
2. Sweep the area to remove stool.
3. Next, mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
4. Spray on crusty areas and leave for 10-30 minutes.
5. Rinse with sparkling water.
6. Apply baking soda to the stained areas and use the scrub brush.
7. Let the baking soda sit for 30 minutes. Rinse the area.
8. Let it air dry.
Although every concrete surface is unique, the process of removing bird droppings from these surfaces is universal. Here’s how to go about it:
1. Scrape off the dried feces with a putty knife or similar scraping tool. Scraping reduces the amount of dirt that gets into the areas around your concrete surface during cleaning.
2. Use a garden hose to remove as much debris as possible. If there are stubborn stains on the concrete surface, you can use a pressure washer.
3. Put some liquid dish soap on the bird droppings residue, take a bristle brush and start rubbing to loosen it.
4. You can rinse the concrete surface with a garden hose; However, if you’re looking for an alternative cleaning method or don’t want to rinse the surrounding feces, you can place a dry, absorbent object on top of the loose poop. If less, you can put a cloth or paper towel. On the other hand, if there are a lot of them, cover them with cat litter or sawdust. Wait a few minutes, then use a broom and shovel to clean up the mess.
DIY effective cleaner
The above steps should remove the stains. But if they are still present, you can make homemade bird droppings cleaner by following the procedure below:
1. Fill an empty spray bottle halfway with vinegar and half with water. Shake the bottle to get a perfect mix.
2. Spray diluted vinegar solution on stubborn stains and let sit for at least 30 minutes. The stained areas will turn the clear mixture into an opaque white or green liquid, depending on the color of the poop.
3. Rinse the concrete surface with soda, as the acids in bird poop can break down through charring. The soda will react to stool stains, bubbling for a while and draining. However, if you are cleaning a larger area, it is best to dilute the soda with an equal amount of water and rinse the surrounding area.
Remove bird droppings from metal deck railings
After effortlessly describing terrace cleaning, we now focus on metal railings. Metal is a harder material, so you can add a little more strength to the cleaning mix.
1. Remove loose debris with the broom and shovel.
2. Mix 1 tablespoon of laundry detergent with 2 glasses of water in a spray bottle.
3. Wet the adhered areas with soapy water.
4. Let the mixture sit for about 10-15 minutes.
5. Take a cloth or towel and remove any softened parts.
6. Take the pressure washer or garden hose and spray the areas until all dirt is removed.
7. Pigeon poop is acidic, so check for metal wear. Apply polish using a cloth.